Did you know that Memorial Day used to be called "Decoration Day"? It began as a day remember those who died serving in our military. Since it's beginning, the day has evolved into a day off, not a day to remember those who have passed on. As long as I can remember, my family has spent Memorial Day putting flowers on the graves of those who have died. Not just those who served in the military, but our family members. As of right now, I could drive you to all of the graves of every one of my grandparents (three of them, Grandma is still with us), two sets of great-grandparents, and a whole host of other relatives. We don't just buy Mums (we do use some of those) and put those out, no. We actually take flowers from our yards and create beautiful homemade bouquets. I LOVE this tradition. I love that I have had the opportunity to take my girls with me and demonstrate to them what it means to show respect for those we love who have passed on. The decorating of the graves is special tradition to me and my family! Memorial day is not just a day off work. It's not just another three day weekend, or a day to run around and play. Don't get me wrong, we do our fair share of playing, but before we play, we decorate! Thank you Grandma and Mom for keeping this wonderful tradition alive!
Me, Abby and my mom putting bouquets together. Aren't the flowers beautiful?
My Grandma holding Zoey at the Huntsville Cemetery. A lot of my Grandma's family is buried in Huntsville. That is where she was born and raised. Isn't my baby's smile the cutest?
You can see some of the flowers all put together in the background. The lady on the left is my Great-Aunt Joyce. She is Grandma's sister. She's hilarious!
No comments:
Post a Comment