Sunday, September 26, 2010

Go Take a Walk

Lately the girls and I have been going for a walk every night.  It has become part of our night time routine. I walk and push Zoey in the stroller - obviously, and Abby runs.  She literally runs around the block.  I think she may have a future in cross-country running.  I have to walk pretty fast to keep up with her.  These walks are to wear everyone out including me.  While these walks/runs are fun they might just help me fit-into-the-pants-I-already-own.  Abby asks to go and Zoey loves to watch Abby run and play along the way.  Here are a few of the funny things that we have seen and that Abby has done on our walks:

  • One day we were walking along and suddenly Abby was bawling.  I asked her what was wrong and she said, "My teeth are just so sharp."  What?  She had bit her own hand while chewing on her shirt.  
  • There is a black cat on the corner whose name is Obama.  I'm totally serious.  
  • One neighbor has cut the edges of their grass with a knife or something other than an edger. 
  • One yard is "Zero-scaped" and so ugly.  Abby always asks why they hate grass.
  • As we walked on day she sang THE ENTIRE TIME, "Go Diego Go!  Go Diego Go!  We're off to save Mi Amigos."  We had to cut that walk short because I was losing my patience.  
  • Abby jumps over cracks in the sidewalk, broken sidewalk, rocks and weeds.
  • We learn the difference between left and right.  Abby always gets to choose, "left or right or straight."  We go the way she says so she is figuring it out pretty well.  
  • Abby falls at least twice every walk.  Luckily she usually runs on the grass along the street.  
A few things that would make our walks easier:  
  • If the annoying barking dogs would shut up.
  • If the city would realize that sidewalks are important and fix all of them.
  • That people wouldn't plant giant out-of-control rose bushes and cacti in the parking of their yard.
  • and...if people would quit watering the sidewalk and aim their sprinklers for the grass.  Duh.
We love our walks!  If you're ever in our neighborhood in the evening, feel free to join us!

No comments: