Friday, March 4, 2011

An Adventure in Whispering

I lost my voice.  I woke up and it was gone.  Of course, that was three days ago.  The first day I could talk, I just sounded weird.  Day two was pretty bad, whispering all day. Today, whispering for sure.  This is ME we're talking about.  I NEED to talk.  It's a compulsion.  Or a habit.  Either way, I can't speak louder than a whisper.  This is hard.  I can't talk on the phone. I can't yell to my children.  I can't get Abby to come up stairs without going down there and then whispering to her to follow me.  I can't sing along to the radio.  I can't call and get a dinner reservation because I can't be understood on the other end.  This is maddening!  I have learned, however, to prioritize my conversations, whisper loud and I am now the best lip-syncer ever.  The most hilarious part of it all is that Abby thought she should be whispering back to me when I whispered at her.  It took a few hours for her to figure out that only her mother needed to be the mute one.  Zoey keeps grunting at me with a look that says Why are you so quiet?  You're NEVER quiet. 

You know those thousands of words that women supposedly need to speak in a day?  I always reach that or exceed it.  Let's just say, that when I can talk again, I have quite the reserve of words.  My phone has had a much needed rest, but as soon as I can, it's back on the horse. If your number is in my phone, brace yourselves people.

No comments: